April 9, 2014
- It’s conventional wisdom consumers hate to visit a car dealer, especially for service or repairs – but a new study suggests that’s far from true these days, in large part due to complimentary and prepaid maintenance programs. And digital tablets are playing a role in improving customer satisfaction, reports TheDetroitBureau.com.
- Despite sluggish sales for its Chevrolet Volt plug-in hybrid, General Motors appears to be making an even bigger bet on the future of electric vehicles as it prepares to invest $449 million in a key battery-car assembly plant and the factory that produces the lithium-ion packs that will be used there. For more, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- General Motors is facing the threat of a $7,000 a day fine for its “failure to fully respond” quickly enough to a demand by federal regulators for information about its ignition switch recall. The story from TheDetroitBureau.com.
April 8, 2014
- Union workers at the General Motors plant in Kentucky that assembles Corvettes are casting ballots on whether to authorize a strike. Voting began early Tuesday and continues into early evening for about 800 members of United Auto Workers Local 2164 at Bowling Green.
- Viper versus Viper. Car versus jet. Which will win? We won’t spoil the result for you, but we will say the outcome may be surprising to some. MUST SEE: Teen Drives Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Into Texas Pool: Video The F-16’s official name is the Fighting Falcon, but its pilots more commonly call it Viper. It generates nearly 30,000 pounds of...
- General Motors Co. today announced its Board of Directors has declared a 30-cent second quarter dividend on its common stock. The dividend is payable June 26 to all GM [NYSE: GM] common stockholders of record as of June 10.
- General Motors Co. plans to invest $449 million at two Michigan facilities for future electrified vehicle technologies, including the next-generation Chevrolet Volt. Gerald Johnson, GM vice president of North America manufacturing, said the Detroit-based automaker will investment $65 million at its Brownstown Battery Pack Assembly Plant and $384 million at the Detroit-Hamtramck Assembly Plant, where the company’s plug-in hybrid models are being produced.
- The owners of a Chevrolet Corvette and a Chevrolet Sonic will soon have something in common beyond the “bow-tie” emblem on their vehicles: each can wait to change a flat. Bridgestone is introducing a line-up of replacement run-flat tires for a broader array of cars and trucks. For more, head over to TheDetroitBureau.com.
April 7, 2014
- The families of those who died in General Motors cars with defective ignition switches want prosecutors to go after GM insiders responsible for letting the problems fester for more than a decade — and perhaps for covering them up.
- A few years ago, car manufacturers figured out that customers were getting tired of infotainment and navigation systems rendered archaic by the latest smartphones and tablets, and turned to technology companies for a more user-friendly alternative. MUST WATCH: Teen Drives Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 Into Texas Pool: Video Now, everyone from Apple to...
- Mark Twain proclaimed that "humor is tragedy plus time." Apparently enough time has passed for Saturday Night Live and other television shows to take jabs at General Motors' handling of the ignition switch recall and Mary Barra's two appearances before Congress last week. For details, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- If you're Jeremy Clarkson or anyone involved with one of the Cannonball Run movies, driving a car into a swimming pool is hilarious. If you're not, it really isn't. Anyone looking to go for a swim at a certain Harris County, Texas, community pool was--to say the least--inconvenienced when a brand-new 2014 Chevrolet Camaro ZL1 was driven into it...
- General Motors, which could use a bit of good news these days, is off to a fast start in the Chinese market where GM’s total sales could top 1 million units by the middle of April as the auto giant and its partners fight to regain the leadership in China from rival Volkswagen AG. To see more, go to TheDetroitBureau.com.
- We’ve just driven the 2015 Hyundai Genesis, the nameplate’s second generation, and found it far more enjoyable to drive than we anticipated. Yes, the car has the best steering of any Hyundai we've ever driven. Chevrolet has announced that its 2015 Corvette Stingray will be available with its lightning-fast 8L90 eight-speed automatic...
- Barely a year out of the box, the 2015 Chevrolet Corvette will get a major upgrade - a new 8-speed automatic promising to be smoother, quicker - and 5% more fuel-efficient, reports TheDetroitBureau.com.